The following is the preliminary step in adopting one of our canine orphans. We have been adopting out animals for several years and have found it necessary to ask the following questions in order to get a better insight into you and your family and to determine which dog would be best for all involved.
We don’t mean to insult anyone or invade anyone’s privacy, but judging from experience, these questions are necessary. If you choose not to answer any one of the following questions, please feel free to ask us about it and we will be more than happy to explain the necessity of that particular question.
The following will give you an idea of what we expect in our potential adopters.
- Our adoption fee is $200.00. For your adoption fee, the dog will be spayed/neutered, fully vaccinated, micro-chipped and receive a free lifetime of training sessions with VRC.
- All of our dogs are spayed/neutered. DO NOT ASK US FOR AN UN-ALTERED DOG!
- We are hesitant to adopt out our adult dogs into homes where there are existing small dogs. It’s just not something we “recommend” although we have had some successful adoptions in this capacity. We will consider it if certain circumstances arise, but we do recommend puppies for this situation or one of our non-Pit Bulls. You must also live within a reasonable traveling distance on the chance the animals stop getting along, so that our dog can be returned to us fairly easily and quickly.
- CATS – This means if YOU have a cat(s) in your home and you want to adopt a dog from us. Unfortunately we no longer feel comfortable doing these type of adoptions. Just because OUR dog is good with OUR cats, does not mean it will be the same for YOUR cat(s). And because we care about your feline friend too…..we just do not want to take any chances with our dog causing the problems. Unfortunately we have had to go on a few too many road trips to drive and pick our dog back up when it did not work out. This is just not something we can afford to do, both financially and time wise. We would recommend you work with a rescue group closer to where you live so if things do not work out, then it is less stressful for everyone involved.
- ADOPTING WHEN YOU HAVE AN EXISTING DOG…PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. This seems to be where people get very confused. AGAIN…READ CAREFULLY. PIT BULL ADOPTIONS: This means you either want to adopt a Pit Bull type dog from us OR you have a Pit Bull type dog in your home already. If either is the case, we DO ALLOW these type of adoptions IF YOU LIVE WITHIN A 4 HOUR DISTANCE FROM OUR FACILITY (give or take). This is for the following reason….. Due to this breed’s sometimes inherent dog to dog aggression, its hard enough to make two dogs get along, let alone several. You must also live within a reasonable traveling distance on the chance the dogs stop getting along, that we can have our dog returned to us quickly and easily. NON-PIT BULL ADOPTIONS: This means you wish to adopt a dog from us that is NOT a Pit Bull type dog AND your existing dog is NOT a Pit Bull type dog. If this is the case, we will explore the option of doing an adoption if both parties involved (you & us) can reasonably determine that all dogs involved are dog friendly.
- We do NOT recommend adopting a female Pit Bull with another female Pit Bull.
- If you do have an existing dog, you MAY be asked to bring him/her up to our facility to meet your potential new adopted dog.
- If you live in an apartment, condo, townhouse or home owners association complex, verify with the management that you are allowed to have a Pit Bull and not just any type of dog. Many insurance companies are now denying home owners’ insurance companies to rent to people with this breed of dog.
OUT OF STATE ADOPTION REQUIREMENTS
WE DO NOT ADOPT OUT OF THE COUNTRY. NO EXCEPTIONS!
We DO DO DO adopt dogs out of state, but the following restrictions apply:
- We DO NOT fly our dogs. Each adopted dog is driven personally by one of our staff right to your door.
- We will ask you to email/mail photo of your yard/home prior to our staff bringing any dog.
- A physical home-check will be done upon arrival.
- If you have an existing dog in your home, you may be asked to bring your dog to our facility to meet our dog to insure that the dogs will get along (obviously this is for our local adopters). Please understand that this will still be based on a case by case situation. We are not comfortable with doing long-distance adoptions where there is an existing dog due to the fact that if at any given time, if the dogs stop getting along, then the task of getting our dog back will be costly for us and stressful for our dog… BUT we will at least explore the option FOR OUR NON-PIT BULLS and have specific restrictions for PIT BULL TO PIT BULL ADOPTIONS. So to clarify, we do “existing dog in the home” adoptions BUT there are certain restrictions (see #4 above for more specifics)
- “LONG” DISTANCE ADOPTIONS – Most of our adoptions are actually all throughout the country. For whatever reason, we do very few “local” adoptions (just don’t seem to get many applications locally). When we do our “out of state” adoptions, we try to lump them together “geographically” so that we can combine OUR travel expenses. But that all being said, let’s say you live in “Oregon” which is quite a distance from Louisiana. If we have other adoptions going that way GREAT! But if not, then we will have to deny the application based on it being “too far”. This has no bearing on whether or not you are a good applicant but because we cannot afford financially to drive that distance for one dog.
- Adoption fee – $200.00