NEW ORLEANS IS STILL UNDER COVID RESTRICTIONS SO PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS BEFORE MAKING PLANS TO COME HERE
Before you make plans to volunteer with us, there are some things to consider. The first is depending on what time of the year you are coming, the weather can be brutal. The heat and humidity can be extremely difficult.
Because our facility and organization are connected to a TV show on Animal Planet, the public attention we receive can be overwhelming. For this reason, we are limited to what the volunteers can do.
At this time we DO NOT have a volunteer program for our Assumption Parish location.
DUE TO NUMEROUS SAFETY/SECURITY CONCERNS (FOR THE FAMILY, STAFF & DOGS), WE NO LONGER ALLOW VOLUNTEERS “BEHIND THE GATES” OR ONTO ANY OF OUR PROPERTIES.
There are structured times for you to show up to walk our dogs. To volunteer in New Orleans, simply show up at the designated times to walk dogs (8 am, 12 pm, 4 pm & 8 pm).
This program caters to our special needs dogs. These are dogs that do not do well out in the main kennel environment so we’ve set up indoor housing for them. For this reason, they need to go out more frequently than the other dogs… no matter what the weather is!
Because we have several dogs that are a part of this program, you may be asked to participate in more than one walk so that you can help us walk more than one dog (at different times). This not only helps our overworked employees but our dogs as well.
Here are the guidelines for our volunteer dog walking program:
- You cannot bring your personal dog with you.
- If you have a small child with you, more than likely your walk will be limited or you will be asked to sit out with a child-friendly dog. There are just too many variables when walking out in the neighborhood to bring a small child.
- To walk a dog (and hold a leash), you must be at least 16 years of age and accompanied by an adult (if you are under the age of 18 years old)
- You must have good walking shoes. No open-toed shoes or sandals allowed. Too easy to trip and fall if not wearing proper shoes.
- You may take photos of your experience with us but we ask that you wait until your walk is over and your dog is tired and relaxed.
- The schedule times to walk dogs are: 8 am, 12 pm, 4 pm & 8 pm.
- If you have any other questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Unfortunately, we are not able to sit by the phone so if you call, the response from us may take longer but we do monitor our emails constantly.
You DO NOT need an appointment to come and volunteer to walk dogs. You can fill out the necessary paperwork during the orientation when you arrive.
The only thing better than getting a second chance is giving one. Thank you for that.